Terengganu Marine Park, commonly known to many as the jewel of Terengganu, is a collection of protected islands and the surrounding sea in the state of Terengganu. The name reflects its location and primary purpose of conserving the rich marine life and coastal ecosystems.
The Terengganu Marine Park consists of several islands off the coast of the state of Terengganu in Peninsular Malaysia. Among the most well-known islands are Redang Island, Perhentian Islands, and Lang Tengah Island. These islands sit in the South China Sea and are characterized by crystal-clear waters, white sandy beaches, and vibrant coral reefs.
Terengganu Marine Park was established to conserve and manage the marine and coastal ecosystems that are rich in biodiversity. Over the years, its significance grew not just as a conservation site, but also as a major tourist destination. Due to its popularity and ecological importance, stricter regulations have been put in place to ensure that the marine ecosystems remain protected and sustainable.
Highlights of Things to Do
- Snorkeling and Diving: Dive into the clear waters to explore the vibrant coral gardens and the myriad of marine life. The marine park boasts some of the best snorkeling and diving spots in Malaysia.
- Island Hopping: Experience the unique charm of each island, from the bustling beaches of Redang to the more secluded shores of Lang Tengah.
- Turtle Watching: Witness the magical sight of sea turtles coming ashore to lay their eggs on some of the park’s beaches.
- Water Sports: Engage in various water activities like kayaking, jet-skiing, and windsurfing.
- Trekking: Discover the flora and fauna of the islands by trekking through the lush green trails.
How to Get In and Out
- By Boat: The primary way to access the islands of the marine park is by boat. Several boat services operate from Kuala Terengganu and Merang to the islands.
- By Air: The nearest airport is the Sultan Mahmud Airport in Kuala Terengganu. From the airport, travelers can make their way to the jetty and then take a boat to the desired island.
- By Road: Travelers can reach Kuala Terengganu by bus or car. Once in the city, they can head to the Merang or Shahbandar jetties to continue their journey to the islands by boat.
The Terengganu Marine Park offers an immersive experience of the marine world, combined with the serenity of its pristine beaches. It is a haven for marine enthusiasts and those looking for a tranquil tropical getaway.