Tenggol Island, known locally as “Pulau Tenggol”, is believed to derive its name from the Malay word “Tenggul” which means “to recline” or “to lay down”, possibly referring to its laid-back, tranquil ambiance or the island’s topographical resemblance to a laying giant.
Nestled in the South China Sea, Tenggol Island is part of a group of islands within the Terengganu Marine Park, located off the coast of Terengganu, Malaysia. It is the southernmost island in a string of islands that includes the famous Perhentian and Redang islands.
Historically, Tenggol Island remained a less-ventured destination, overshadowed by its more renowned neighboring islands. However, its untouched beauty and rich underwater world soon started drawing the attention of diving enthusiasts and eco-travelers. Today, while it retains much of its original charm, the island is celebrated for its conservation efforts and as an emerging diving hotspot.
Highlights of Things to Do
- Scuba Diving: Tenggol Island boasts a myriad of dive sites that cater to both beginners and seasoned divers. Popular dive sites like Tokong Timur and Tanjung Api offer sightings of whale sharks, manta rays, and other marine wonders.
- Snorkeling: The island’s crystal-clear waters and vibrant coral gardens make it perfect for snorkeling. Expect encounters with colorful fish, sea turtles, and reef sharks.
- Trekking: Explore the island’s lush tropical rainforest through its trekking trails, which lead to panoramic viewpoints and secluded beaches.
- Beach Lounging: The pristine beaches of Tenggol, with their soft white sands and azure waters, are ideal for relaxation, sunbathing, and beachcombing.
How to Get In and Out
- By Road: The nearest town to Tenggol is Kuala Dungun in Terengganu. Visitors typically drive or take a bus to this coastal town.
- By Sea: From Kuala Dungun, regular boat services are available that ferry tourists to Tenggol Island. The boat journey is scenic and takes about 45 minutes to an hour.
Tenggol Island, with its unspoiled landscapes and rich marine life, provides a serene escape for travelers looking to experience nature at its finest. Whether diving, trekking, or simply relaxing, Tenggol promises an unforgettable experience.